Pages

Wednesday 24 October 2012

How to make Moong dal gravy

Hi friends,
           When it was time to give my baby his first solid meal, I asked around for suggestions and got a lot. My husband insisted that first meal of our baby should be a dal and as moong dal is the softest dal and it is easily digest able, we decided that  moong dal would be the best for our baby. So on that day I took a lot of care in preparing this recipe. I made sure that the moong dal was cooked properly and it was not too spicy for my kutty pillai. Even omitted the green chillies. So I finished making dish  and a batch of idlies and we referred to astrology to find a good time. That time came, I dipped a small piece of idly in the moong dal gravy and I fed it to my sweet baby. I was surprised to see him open his mouth without a struggle. I asumed that  he must have liked the moong dal from his smile. I was overjoyed at that moment. So this was the first solid food I fed to my child. I am saying this because I am going to share the recipe with you today. Lets get started.

Moong dal gravy



Ingredients:
  • 250g of moong dal
  • 1 onion
  • 1 tomato
  • 3tsp of cooking oil
  • 1/4tsp of mustard seeds
  • 1/4 tsp of split black gram
  • 2 Red chillies
  • 2 Green chillies
  • A pinch of turmeric powder
  • 2 clove of garlic
  • curry leaves and coriander leaves
  • Most importantly salt 

Method to prepare:
  • Fry moong dal without oil in a pressure cooker.
  • Add water, green chillies,tomato and turmeric powder. and
  • Close the pressure cooker and cook till you get one whistle.
  • Now heat oil in a pan and add mustard seed and split black gram and wait till it gets spluttered.
  • Add crushed garlic, red chillies and curry leaves one by one in the pan and fry them.
  • Add chopped onions and fry it till it becomes golden brown.
  • Now add the fried items to the moong dal gravy.
  • Garnish it as you wish.
Serve with:
        Mix the moong dal gravy with rice and ghee. It could  also be served with puri or chappathi

Note:
       When adding water in the pressure cooker, make sure you add twice as much water as the moong dal. You may use asafoetida instead of garlic, if you don't like garlic smell in it.If you want to prepare for your baby, reduce the number of chillies.

What are you waiting for? Come on start doing it .

No comments:

Post a Comment